Medical Malpractice

How to Make a Complaint

If you believe you or your loved one have received inadequate medical care, you may choose to file a complaint.

  1. If you believe you or your loved one received inadequate medical treatment due to discrimination, you may choose to file a human rights complaint with the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario or the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal.
  2. You can also submit a complaint to the college or regulatory body of the professional in question, such as the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO) or College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO). Often, this might be the best course of action for individuals who did not technically experience life-altering or long-term harm and therefore cannot obtain compensation, but who want to make sure the healthcare provider that harmed them is held accountable. Disciplinary action may be taken by the regulator depending on the severity of the conduct.
  3. A complaint can also be made to a hospital's Patient Relations Officer, or the Office of the Patient Ombudsman.

In some cases, your injuries may be best addressed by commencing a civil claim (also referred to as an Action). This is typically a lengthy process and is summarized here.

If you or a loved one have been a victim of an assault or sexual assault, you may wish to contact the police to file a criminal complaint. Toronto Police provide a dedicated portal to report sexual assaults.